These qualifications provide individuals with the knowledge and skills to work as a laboratory technician within a range of environments.
- Are achieved in the workplace and usually based on National Occupational Standards
- Enable individuals to demonstrate their skills in a wide range of laboratory activities
- SVQs are competence qualifications regulated and achieved in Scotland
- Provide the underpinning knowledge to support entry into the workplace
- May be taken as part of an Apprenticeship Framework
No previous qualifications are required, however, at Level 3 and above it is expected that learners will have a fundamental level of experience and induction of the sector.
Achievement of a Level 3 competence qualification also enables an individual to achieve recognition as a Registered Science Technician (RSciTech) through the Science Council’s Professional Registers.